Wednesday, 4 September 2013

The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz: Part 1 ~ The Smokey Mirror

Hello and welcome to another Topic of Light


This month I decided to go about the Topics of Light a different way. About 8 years ago I read a book that changed my life and has stuck with me ever since. It was a book I borrowed and have finally bought it to add to my collection, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz. 

Please note, I am covering aspects that stand out to me. This is only my personal interpretation. If you enjoy the parts I cover I do encourage you to purchase this book for yourself to get a more clear and thorough picture of the Toltec Teachings. 

I had initially thought that this would be a 4 part Topic but we will see how the messages go as sometimes a small point can make a huge impact and be a wonderful lesson. 

Toltec Wisdom has been hidden from the world for thousands of years and passed down from generation to generation through the Toltec tribe who were known as "women and men of knowledge". 

As I was reading the introduction topic, "smokey mirror," I felt this introductory story really spoke to me and was important to share. Don tells us a story which explains so beautifully how we are all connected, human to human, and human to God. 

The story starts off 3000 years ago when there was a human who was studying to be a Medicine man and learn the knowledge of his ancestors. He did not completely agree with what he was learning and one night he had an experience. From this experience he had a few life changing realisations. 

"Everything in existence is a manifestation of the one living being we call God. Everything is God. And he came to the conclusion that human perception is merely light perceiving light" ~ The Four Agreements

You see, we are all like mirrors, reflecting light and reflecting each other. We cannot see the truth of this concept as the world of illusion, the Dream, is just like smoke and does not allow us to see through it, to see the real us (Pure love and Pure Light). 

When we realise we are all the same and all connected, peace, love and joy are more accessible to us. We posses these qualities and what a wonderful realisation it is when we recognise it in others through the smokey mirror.

"We are images of light" ~ The Four Agreements

We are beautiful pure beings of light, God's creations. When you see a new born baby, they are born pure, innocent and unconditionally loving. As we grow up we begin to believe the world's illusions around us and make them our reality.

"And he realised everyone was dreaming, but without awareness, without knowledge what we really are" ~ The Four Agreements

"I am the Smokey Mirror, because I am looking at myself in all of you, but we don't recognise each other because of the smoke in-between us. That smoke is the Dream, and the mirror is you, the dreamers" ~ The Four Agreements

The message I took from this is we are all born pure, loving beings. Its only the world's illusions that get in the way and make us believe we are separate and a few other emotions that can threaten to overwhelm us. 

I hope you have enjoyed the introduction to this life changing book of mine. My wish for you this week is to recognise the pure light within yourself, so that you can start recognising it within others too. See the light in the world. Have a little faith. 

Love 
Chanzie

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see..." ~ John Lennon

PS look out for my next post: Book Review - The Archangel Jarahmael (In Rebellion) Book 2 by John J Higgins


8 comments:

  1. Thank you for introducing this one to me. I am happy that it had such an impact on your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a pleasure :) It is an easy inspiring quick read! Hope you will enjoy my posts to follow covering the agreements in this book!

      Delete
  2. Great review Chanzie! I hope i come across this book myself, sounds right up my alley x x x much loves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Milly :) you can find this book in most book stores. Check out Bargain books. I will be covering the agreements over the next few weeks as Topics of Light :) Much loves xx

      Delete
  3. I like what you took from this, "we are all born pure, loving beings. Its only the world's illusions that get in the way and make us believe we are separate" Great post Chene :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba :) I am so glad to hear you enjoyed this post! I am quite excited about the Topics for the next few weeks xx

      Delete
  4. Seems a bit deep at first, but I'm all for anything that brings light into an all too often dark world. Thanks for your insights Chene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it does seem so deep but only because it is a new concept. This is an amazing book and I only managed to capture some sparks from this enlightening books for these topics :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.