Thursday, 31 October 2013

Author Interview ~ Tina Smith

Getting to know Tina Smith ~ Author of Wolf Sirens

Hello Everybody! 

I am so excited to be interviewing the lovely Tina Smith. If you haven't checked out my reviews here are the links:

Lets get this show on the road! Don't forget to enter the competition at the end to win some awesome swag...



Hello Tina!

Thank you so much for taking some time out to hang out with us on my blog! 
You are welcome! 

Tell us a little bit about yourself:
I am a thirty year old indie author from Adelaide S.A. I work as a Health and Wellness Consultant in a health store and have studied Naturopathy and Western Herbal Medicine for the last seven (yes, seven) years. I hope to finish in the not too distant future.

How does it feel to have your work published? Really great. I have tangible proof that I have been doing something for the past few years

Which writers inspire you? Maggie Stiefvater, Stephenie Meyer, Amanda Hocking, Virginia Andrews, Colleen Hover and Veronica Roth. I love movies like Minority report, oblivion and I Robot at the moment too. They are great inspiration.
Are you working on any new books & what are they about? I have just started floating some ideas about a vampire novel and I also have just started a sci-fi, dystopian piece. I was advised to write some short stories by a few people, including a psychic at a tarot card reading – so I thought it sounded like a good idea. The problem is I have to pick one thing and stick with it, hard when I have a world of inspiration around me.
What genre are your books & what draws you to this Genre? All my books are part of the Wolf Sirens series which fit the paranormal genre. At first I was just saying that they were fantasy to be broader in appeal, but I think most people get what PNR is. I just seem to fit PN, I love the realistic edge combined with this completely amazing creature or happening. I find it magnetising and harsh all in one. Something about it resonates with me, I find PNR relatable. I’m a Pieces sun sign so I am always full of conflicting ideas and I feel that is what appeals about the genre, it’s complete fantasy based in reality. I want to help take the genre to the masses.    
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book/series? Lila would be some sweet pouty, yet sturdy young newcomer actress. Kinda like Liana Liberato (Starred in the movie Trust). Cres would have to be some tall blonde almond eyed beauty. The boy in my Fever video is cute. Check it out.
How much research do you do? I do spurts of research, but I don’t go into it too heavily. I learnt to shoot a few types of guns at a range and I know a friend who was in the army many years who gives me advice on weapons and Army rank (important in book 5), the rest I Google. But I do believe in writing what you know if possible. Though I am not about to jump out of a plane if I have a parachute scene in one of my books. I’m more of a homebody.
When did you decide to become a writer and what inspired you? I think I was born with a temperament and personality that suited it. I blame the stars. I never really thought or even desired to be a writer. I always thought it seemed like a lot of hard work – I was right. It sounds corny but I believe that writing is my vocation in life, my creative outlet. For me that’s the only way to be, true to oneself. I come from a creative family and I have found writing is my release and I am finding my stride.
What is the hardest thing about writing? All of it and I think most writers would agree it’s all the editing. The time – it goes into a vortex when you write or edit or doing anything that requires all of you attention on the computer. I literally sat down to do some promotion yesterday and 4 hours went by in a flash - so much to do so little time. Cloning myself is something I think of often.
What is the easiest thing about writing? Being creative, it makes me feel alive - living in a world of infinite possibilities and ideas. Finding words to match them. I hate all the spelling and punctuation and typing. My strong point is the characters and the plot. I am a story teller and an emotional creature. I love the human aspect.
Did you ever get writer’s Block? No, not really. I could write forever and a day. My hands get sore. When I am writing an action scene I do stop to consider the ramifications of my decisions for the characters and the story line, I get an adrenaline rush when deciding which route to take. It’s like playing chess where every move/sentence counts. I ultimately know what I want to happen in the end and I have to find the best way to get there while telling a dramatic story.
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block? Power through. Walk, talk to friends, go for a drive, watch a movie, go to the pool. Take a shower. Read a book. Power nap. Roll around on the floor. Hang upside down. I can’t shut my brain up at times, inspiration likes to strike at the most unlikely times, usually when you are away from the computer or drifting off to sleep. If you are stuck think about something else. I can always threaten myself with doing things I don’t like – if you don’t want to write then you can do the dishes…Its amazing how much more writing I can get done in order to avoid cleaning. Also stream of conscious writing is good and so is trying to write as much as you can in a day, don’t worry about mistakes or editing, just run with it.  I am impatient so I love to steam roll ahead. I hate to procrastinate. But I also dread editing. It’s a rock and a hard place thing.
Do you read much and if so who are your favourite authors? I haven’t read nearly enough. My fave authors are above.
What book/s are you reading at present? I enjoyed Veronica Roth’s series Divergent. I read Into Darkness and I am slowly making my way through Anna Karenina and City of Bones. I know if I like a book that I don’t have to try to get through it, when I can’t put it down whether I think its bad or good, I know it was a ripper read.
Tell us about the cover and how it/they came about? I created them. I had no cash and a lot of time. Dreamstime images and Getty images are good. I use photo Gimp to alter the pictures. I had a friend put the first cover together to my specifications after I spent way to long sourcing the images. Your cover is important. Now I do my own covers. I am proud of book #3 Night Fall’s cover. It worked well.
What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews? I hate getting a bad review. It really does hurt, only because the book is your heart and soul on a page and hours of time and energy. I fought to get it out and I wasted months of my life getting it out and setting it up online and someone can just say it was awful. So I have to ignore them. Though I can’t help myself but read them at times to try and take away some sort of constructive criticism to better myself. At least people are reading my book, but I always love to see more good than bad reviews. They drag down the average rating too, which is a shame.
Do you have a trailer or do you intend to create one for your own book/s?
Yes, it took me two entire days of work (20 hours) or more to learn to use the software and upload it, select music and find images. So I have done only 3. It’s just too much time and energy – when I could be writing. I think the first two are pretty good. My mother is better at using the program than me, but I did my best. I hope you like them. They are only interesting if you have read the books.
What is your favourite motivational phrase? I love a good phrase but I don’t have just one, here’s a good one - Don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do for today.
Where can you see yourself in 5 years time? A successful writer, with 10 books and a publisher - I write full time and my books are being optioned as movies. I want to write a Black swan. I will try hard to get a lot of work out in the next few years, though when I work time has a way of flying by, so who knows. I may have 2 more books out or may have ten. At some point I need to make this viable or I will have to go get a job.
What advice would you give to your younger self? I have heaps of advice, but what can you do, the young are young. I would say to my younger self what I knew anyway and that is that “this too shall pass”. You are strong and things will get better. I was an unhappy teenager. I fell in love with the wrong boys and I had a tough time of it. But that’s what makes me a good artist. Pain is art. I would have said go to writing school, you are a writer. It would have saved a lot of time. But on retrospect maybe I needed the time to live and be miserable
What advice would you give to aspiring writers? Dream, write and listen to advice but know your own mind. Work hard and sometimes things don’t work - but don’t let that get you down, change it, start again – people who succeed have failed first, often far more than people who give up.
Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included? No - that was thorough, good job.
How can readers discover more about you and you work?
Books on Smashwords: ForbiddenFeverNight Fall
Thanks & Kind Regards,
Tina Smith, Author of the Wolf Sirens Series

Isn't Tina Awesome?? It has been such an awesome experience chatting to Tina. She is down to earth and approachable. I randomly commented on a blog post on Goodreads and Tina was just so friendly and easy to chat to! 

I hope you have enjoyed getting to know the wonderful person behind the books. 
Keep an eye out for my next review int he series: Nightfall - Coming soon!

Love 
Chanzie 






8 comments:

  1. Great interview! I like learning about authors and their writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam :) I do too, its so nice to get to know the people as sometimes they can almost seem surreal in our minds.. if you know what I mean :)

      Delete
  2. Loved this interview. And those are great authors to inspire you. And yes, editing is the hardest for me for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! But anything worth doing will have its challenges :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, thanks for the great post. I am grateful. It looks great!
    Thanks Chene. I will put the links on FB.
    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! It was so great to put this together with you :)

      Delete
  4. P.S cute picture Chene!
    (you with Fever)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he he Thanks :) I am trying to use my own pics as I read a post about blogger being sued because they used a pic from google! Plus I like to see the actual blogger when I go to other blogs, like putting a name to a face :)

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.