Monday, 14 October 2013

Book Review: Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices #3) by CassandraClare

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare:
Series: The Infernal Devices #3
Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Publication Date: 19 March 2013
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Fantasy, Historical Fiction

A little bit about Author
Lived on France, England & Switzerland before the age of 10

Author of The Mortal Instruments
Previously worked at Entertainment magazines
website: 
http://www.cassandraclare.com/


Previous Reviews:
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) 
Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2)

Why did I choose this book/Source?:
This series has been on my TBR list for a while. In September I joined a group on Goodreads and Clockwork Angel was one of the Books of the month to read. I grabbed this opportunity as an excuse to read this series. I loved book 1 (Clockwork Angel) & Book 2 (Clockwork Prince) so much that I had to find time in my review schedule to read this sequel in the series as well!

What is the book about:
Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

Tessa Gray should be happy – aren't all brides happy? Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. 

A new demon appears - one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.


My Review:
This book was a brilliant sequel and ending to one of the best trilogies I have read. The story had me laughing at some parts, in tears at other parts and filled my heart with joy and sorrow throughout the book. This is a story about love and friendship; happiness and sadness; joy and loss. 

Will and Jem: I think this is the best bromance I have ever read. It is heart wrenching. I really enjoyed the way they accepted each other and understood the other's actions or reactions, regardless of the situations they ended up in.

Will and Magnus: What an amazing and unexpected friendship. I truly enjoyed this friendship from the beginning and found it to be so honest, true and different. 

Will, Tessa, Jem: One of the things I loved about this triangle is that it was happy in a way - yes there the choices and heartaches but none of them turned on each other and they all just loved each other so much.

Character: 5/5
Cecily -  I really enjoyed her stubborn sibling interactions with Will, as well as the way she handled and interacted with Gabriel. She is the typical younger sister to Will with a free strong spirit.

Will - You truly learn to love Will in this book. If the previous books helped you yo understand him, in this book you will fall in love with who he is as a character. He is strong, courageous and honourable. His love for Jem and Tessa fuels his actions and you cannot help admiring him. I was so happy about how Will's story ended.

Jem - This is the first book where I was not happy with Jem's story all the time. I still think we need more people like Jem in this world, and was so happy when things smoothed out to happyville for me. I loved his character regardless and understood his transitions. I was very happy with how his story ended and he is still the sweetest most loving, caring and understanding character. 

Tessa - Sometimes Tessa was a bit 'over-brave' not always thinking how her actions, no matter how noble, could have unhappy consequences. I was happy that Will and Jem always tended to balance her out and help her think a bit clearer. My heart sang with Tessa as well as ached for her. I was so happy with her journey through the story, and with the ending. 

Henry & Charlotte - I adored these characters. I was so happy when they came together as a couple  - when they finally realized they were truly in love, and that their relationship was not an obligation one! 

Plot & Writing style & Cover: 5/5
Cassandra Clare is one of the best authors I have read! I have quite a few favourites and she is up there with them. The plot had me completely absorbed with the twists and turns. I was laughing and crying throughout the book. I LOVED all the covers in this series. It had an unexpected but perfect ending - , I couldn't picture anything else. 

My Rating:


Books in the series:




Favorite Quotes: 

"Will let his cutlery clatter onto his plate. "The Consul? Breaking up our breakfast time? Whatever next? The Inquisitor over for tea? Picnics with the Silent Brothers?"
"Duck Pies in the park." said Jem under his breath, and he and Will smiled at each other, just a flash, before the door opened and the Consul swept in." 
"Do not regret too much the choices you have made in the past, Gabriel," she said, aware that she was using his Christian name, but not able to help it. "Only make the right ones in future. We are ever capable of change and ever capable of being our better selves."






14 comments:

  1. I keep hearing good things about this series. I am going to have to add it to the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do and get to it soon :) I found it tough to write this review without giving away any spoilers :) I cannot wait to start The Mortal Instruments as well which is also apparently as brilliant as this series!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review, Chene! I'm dying to read this series...I wonder whether it's been optioned for the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Mina! Oh I hope so.. this would make an amazing movie!

      Delete
  3. I confess, I've wanted to read this book JUST because of the awesome cover. It's good to hear a solid endorsement. I've heard a few that weren't so good, but this motivates me to check out the series. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I agree, I love all the Infernal Devices Covers :) I am so glad this post helped and i really hope you enjoy these books as much as I did :)

      Delete
  4. I've had this series on my TBR for a long time as well. It's great to see that you're still loving it 3 books in - that's a sign of a good series! Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is! I loved every single book and was so sad when the series came to an end... it is one of those where you wished there was more! I hope you get to it soon :) Thanks Berls :)

      Delete
  5. Great review Chene! I totally agree with you! It's so heart wrenching yet happy at the same time. The ending was really unexpected and I actually shed a few tears of (both from happiness and sadness) when I finished it. Once again, a wonderful review and I look forward to your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! I cried a few times during this book and the ending was so touching and perfect. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I read and loved book 1 and then became sidetracked and forgot to read the other books in this series. I will make it a point to read the other two books this year and see how everything ends. Thanks for your great review and reminding me that I need to finish this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I hope you do get to read the rest of the series! It is one of my all time favourites <3

      Delete
  7. Thanks for commenting on my review of Clockwork Princess :D

    I enjoyed reading you review and hearing your thoughts so much! Loved the review! I'm so sad this series had to end...I mean it's so amazing and it makes me cry every time I think about it. I feel that this book should have more books in it!!! *bawls* GIMMIE MORE WILL!!!

    Olivia @ Fictionally Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree... I wish there were 7 books like TMI <3 *Sigh Jem*

      Delete

~ Hearing from you makes me Happy ~
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate all comments & read every one of them. I also make sure to visit your site as well if you have one.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.